Fog computing is also known as fogging. It’s architecture uses edge devices. Devices compute,store,communicate and route the data. This computing basically works on Iot data. The edge devices , known as fog nodes, deploy in a network connection randomly. To become a fog node, the device should have network connectivity. It also must be able to compute and store data. This helps in minimizing latency. Sensitive data stays inside the network. And also the network traffic reduces through this computing.
WORKING OF FOG COMPUTING:
On a daily basis, devices generate enormous data. These devices are not capable of performing advance tasks as these are quite simple. They just produce information to the cloud. Cloud performs all computing tasks. But it takes a lot of time. We cannot connect all endpoints directly to the cloud. Hence usage of fog computing acts as a solution for it. In fog computing processing takes place near the source itself. Hence amount of data received by the cloud reduces. It just complements cloud computing but doesn’t replace it. It takes decisions and analyze data in motion.
- It brings data closer to the user and aims at placing the data close to the end-user.
- This computing creates dense geographical distribution. Better results are produces along with fast big data and analytics. Moreover, there is no need to traverse the entire network. This supports location-based mobility demands . Also the real-time data analytics becomes a reality on a massive scale.
- It integrates core cloud services with a truly distributed data centre platform by controlling data at various edge points.
- Many organizations already works with the concept of fog. With the usage of different services, end users receives rich content.
- It’s very confusing and a complex type of computing.
- Due to increased number of connections, there is also an increase in the number of risks as well.
- As the devices storing the data are outside the office’s physical location,there is a risk of data breach or hack.
- Smart traffic lights uses this computing.
- Now-a-days autonomous vehicles travel on roads.
- Wireless sensor and actuator networks
- Smart building control
- Self maintaining train
- Smart grids,etc.